Despite a strong push to get James Gunn back as director of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” following his firing, Disney and Marvel are standing by their decision to not reinstate him as director for the next installment.
Gunn was let go from the project nearly a month ago when dozens of his old tweets from nearly a decade ago came to light.... so-called joke tweets, about pedophilia and rape. The studio acted quickly to remove him from directing the third installment, believing the comments were unacceptable in the #MeToo era and were not in line with Disney’s family-friendly image.
Since then, support for him has been widespread, especially from the “Guardians” cast. Cast members including Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana asked for James to be reinstated in an open letter.
Gunn and his UTA reps pushed hard for him to be given a second chance, and Horn decided to take a courtesy meeting on Tuesday to clear the air and see if there was a possibility of Gunn returning to the franchise. Though the meeting was described as civil and professional, sources say that Horn stood by his decision to not reinstate him as director.
Chris Pratt said it has not been “an easy time” since James Gunn was fired from “Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3”.
He told the Associated Press, “It’s not an easy time. We all love James and he’s a good friend of ours, but we also really love playing the 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.
“It’s a complicated situation for everybody,” he added. “And you know, we just want to move forward and do what’s right and be the best people we can be.”